Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Why it Was Cool Being a Kid of the 80's and 90's

  • Fashion was funky, at the age of four, I had acid washed jeans, Doc Martins and a perm style hairdo (100% natural of course).
  • The cartoons produced then were top class, who doesn't remember Gummy Bears, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and The Smurfs.
  • I missed the era of apartheid but remember the first elections.
  • Michael Jackson (RIP) had a concert in Cape Town and I attended! (U2 is awesome live I'm sure but, in my opinion, MJ will always be the best entertainer, Sorry U2 fans).
  • Music was fun, they simply don't make songs like Macarena, Barbie Girl and Too Sexy anymore.
  • Parents had not realised the amount of unhealthy additives in those ridiculously bright sweets and mix-a-drink cooldrinks yet.
  • As kids we used our imagination on a regular basis, we were not couch potatoes and it was safe to play outside until late into the evenings.
  • Computars just started to become popular, even though they only had two colour screens, and games like Prince of Persia kept you entertained for hours.
  • There were plenty of good programmes for little boys to watch such as, Knight Rider, The A-Team and Dallas ( I think only my brother watched Dallas though) and little boys had plenty of bad musicians to idolize, such as MC Hammer, Snow and Vanilla Ice.
  • Fireworks weren't banned in residential areas as yet and Guy Fawkes and New Year's Eve were always memorable days on the calendar (as a supporter of animal rights I completely support the ban now but I have had my years of ignorant bliss).


That's all.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, the sweet memories of childhood...
    I will agree to disagree about the U2/MJ part And I hope this year's Guy Fawkes day will be a very memorable one for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe that U2 comment was directed at you but maybe I'd be singing a different tune if I went to the concert... I have a feeling this is going to be the BEST 5 November ever!!!!

    ReplyDelete