Thursday, April 14, 2011

Something That Goes Gurgle Gurgle in the Ward

When you work in a hospital setting, at one point or the other you are bound to come across death. It isn't ever a happy situation but my reaction and the reaction of those I work with can be amusing at times.


One day as I was finishing up with a patient in the ward I became aware that a patient across the room had passed away. Unfortunately death is common place in these wards and you have no choice but to go about your duties as normal. As I was writing the progress notes in my patient's file, the porter came in to collect the body to take to the morgue. The deceased patient's family however, was still at the body paying their respects, so the porter came to stand next to me while they finished.


As we stood waiting across the room we heard something that sounded like gurgling liquid coming from the direction of the covered body. Our eyes went as wide as saucers. The porter whispered to me that if that sound was coming from the body there was NO WAY he was taking it! We both listened as the gurgling continued and continued. Just as the porter was about to make a run for it, (I, myself was scared senseless bu my inquisitive nature got the better of me) one of the bereaved family members answered her cellphone and the noise stopped... The porter and I breathed a simultaneous sigh of relief and chuckled at our silliness...



That's all.

1 comment: