Monday, July 25, 2011

What I have learnt in Durban...thus far..

(This post may contain broad sweeping statements but as  this is my blog I am entitled to make them)
  • It is ok to end all your sentences with the word 'but'.
  • Durban dialect is contagious.
  • Indians are the most hospitable people you will ever meet.
  • The drug of choice here is 'sugars' and no it isn't the sugar you put in your tea (been there, done that, asked the stupid question).
  • Indians really do make curry out of everything: mangos, mushroom, green bananas, jack fruit, herbs that look more like weeds...
  • Some days you do feel as if you are living in a foreign country: it's warm in winter, monkeys roam the streets, palm trees are the natural vegatation...
  • Zulus are not as friendly as Tswanas and on their bad days they can be quite intimidating (lucliky I don't scare as easily as I used to).
  • Afrikaans is practicly extinct in this province.
  • Durbanites do not own winter clothes and live in denial that it could ever get very cold or wet in Durban. After a long stormy week in KZN the crazy Capetonian in a raincoat and gum boots had the last laugh.
  • Durbanites take personalized number plates to an entirely different level for example : SMELLY and BEANZ.
And no matter where I go some things will never change...
  • Matrons still have the personality of blob fish (its the ugliest animals alive according to National Geographic).
  • I am still known as the little girl but I have also inherited the new nickname of Cape Town ( I hope it is a compliment).

That's all.

2 comments:

  1. With this information, I can go to Durban and be seen as a local Indian girl. It happened before in Rustenburg:)

    ReplyDelete