Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Why Stan is the Man

Stan* is the hospital messenger who puts a smile on my face daily for the following reasons:

  • He drives a bright yellow heister without great speed or agility unfortunately.
  • He is very short and stout and reminds me of a teapot, an Indian teapot.
  • He has perfected the art of visiting our department at the exact second we sit down to have lunch or tea.
  • He is nearly as old as the hospital and has many historical tales to tell.
  • On hot days he wears a sombrero and I often find myself shouting 'Ola Speedy Gonzales!' across the parking lot.
  • He is petrified of a feisty elderly female patient in the ward and refuses to deliver to that ward if she is on the prowl.
  • He sneakily steals our tea and sugar and just as we begin to get suspicious he brings us a donation of tea bags or sugar (that he has most likely nicked from another ward).
  • He puts my aircon on in the morning so by the time I get into my office it is nice and cool.
  • On Friday afternoons when the Psych Department is deserted it is comforting to know that he is sitting outside my door drinking his tea.
  • When we praise him he helps us (or does his job).
  • He can cook amazing open fire veg biriyani in those big pots. 
  • He often gets hurt. I know this isn't a laughing matter but the situations he finds himself in often amuses me. He has: rolled down the uneven corridors leading to the wards one to many times, has gotten attacked by a swarm of bees and has rolled down a hill while trying to escape some unruly strikers.


*Name has been changed to protect confidentiality.

That's all.

5 comments:

  1. LOL! I've fallen in love with stan! Ah man! I wish I could meet him. Sounds like my kinda guy. But Nadia though...if you're going to pic an Alias for such a person, can it not be a gigolo's name? You could've called him Jerry or Henry, something subtle. Stan sounds like something one would hump for a buck on a lonely Friday even.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Stan :) He sounds as comforting as one of the porters at my work. If he is not at work for a day, something just doesn't feel right...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stan is definately the man by the sounds of things! How cute and sweet! agh he must be one of those nunu old people! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obi, good thing I didn't choose the name Deuce. Thanks ladies. He actually isn't that old but has worked for the hospital for donkey years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every hospital needs a Stan... where can i find one?

    ReplyDelete